- 31 Dez.Vector 2021 Annual Review
- 15 Okt.Q3 Review
- 17 Aug.Chinese crackdowns
- 22 JuliVector 2021 Semi-Annual Review
- 25 JuniWhy we still like value
- 25 Mai'Transitory' Inflation
- 22 Apr.Reversal to the mean?
- 17 MärzVector's take on sustainable finance
- 09 MärzSustainability-related disclosures in the financial services sector (SFDR)
- 19 Feb.David versus Goliath: An analysis of 2020 stock market performance
- 30 Dez.Vector 2020 Annual Review
- 20 Nov.Factor momentum
- 20 Okt.How will the US elections influence your portfolio?
- 25 Sept.Are better times for quant investing on the horizon?
- 26 Aug.Fama/French going through its biggest drawdown since 1963
- 17 JuliVector 2020 Semi-Annual Review
- 25 JuniA Look At Post-Corona Market Valuations
- 25 MaiUnprecedented times call for unprecedented measures...
- 23 Apr.Vector's outlook on the Corona Crisis
- 13 MärzMarket correction: sense or sentiment?
- 17 Feb.The market and sector concentration
- 14 Jan.Notice to shareholders
- 31 Dez.Vector 2019 Annual Review
- 17 Dez.Fama/French going through its second biggest drawdown since 1963
- 15 Nov.The Alpha Lifecycle
- 16 Okt.Vector 2019 Q3 Review
- 10 Sept.A new prospectus
- 14 Aug.Market Review: July
- 10 JuliVector 2019 Semi-annual Review
- 14 JuniAre factor premia disappearing?
- 21 MaiHow persistent is regional outperformance?
- 12 Apr.Market recovery: sense or sentiment?
- 12 MärzMarkets solidify recovery
- 12 Feb.Stock Markets Rebound
- 31 Dez.Vector 2018 Annual Review
- 14 Dez.2019 (outrageous) predictions!
- 20 Aug.Temperatures and stock markets heat up
- 18 JuliVector 2018 Semi-annual Review
- 14 JuniDo exporters suffer during trade wars?
- 15 MaiStrong earnings put markets on the road to recovery
- 17 Apr.Q1 Overview
- 13 MärzStock Markets: Episode VI: The return of volatility
- 02 MärzVector wins Morningstar Germany and Belgium Awards!
- 22 Feb.Vector Flexible wins De Tijd/L'Echo Awards for the third year in a row!
- 16 Feb.Navigator wins Morningstar France Award!
Strong earnings put markets on the road to recovery
15 Mai 2018
After a rather depressing and volatile first quarter, the markets took their first steps on the road to recovery in April. Europe and the UK were the months biggest winners, with returns of 4.6% and 4.7% respectively. Even if we account for the strong Dollar appreciation (+1.8%) these returns still overshadow those of the United States (+2.2%) and Emerging Markets (+1.3%) by some margin. Emerging Markets in particular lost a significant part of the lead they had built up during the first quarter of 2018.
Yet, on the whole prices trended upwards during the month in all regions. Much like the reported earnings did… In the US the first quarter earnings are showing exceptionally strong momentum: EPS are growing at a pace of 23% and more than 75% of the reporting companies have beaten the analysts’ expectations! Moreover, results that are coming in from Europe show a similar pattern. So, while earnings momentum stocks were April’s biggest winners we concurrently saw an unfavourable rotation out of price momentum and quality stocks.
Vector Navigator (+2.1%) and Flexible (+0.7%) performed slightly below their benchmarks during the month. Yet, over a 5-year period the fund is still easily beats more than 90% of the competition. Flexible is beating 66% of the competition this year and 94% of the competition over a 5-year period.