- 31 DezVector 2019 Annual Review
- 17 DezFama/French going through its second biggest drawdown since 1963
- 15 NovThe Alpha Lifecycle
- 16 OktVector 2019 Q3 Review
- 10 SepA new prospectus
- 14 AugMarket Review: July
- 10 JulVector 2019 Semi-annual Review
- 14 JunAre factor premia disappearing?
- 21 MaiHow persistent is regional outperformance?
- 12 AprMarket recovery: sense or sentiment?
- 12 MärMarkets solidify recovery
- 12 FebStock Markets Rebound
- 31 DezVector 2018 Annual Review
- 14 Dez2019 (outrageous) predictions!
- 20 AugTemperatures and stock markets heat up
- 18 JulVector 2018 Semi-annual Review
- 14 JunDo exporters suffer during trade wars?
- 15 MaiStrong earnings put markets on the road to recovery
- 17 AprQ1 Overview
- 13 MärStock Markets: Episode VI: The return of volatility
- 02 MärVector wins Morningstar Germany and Belgium Awards!
- 22 FebVector Flexible wins De Tijd/L'Echo Awards for the third year in a row!
- 16 FebNavigator wins Morningstar France Award!
Stock Markets Rebound
12 Feb 2019
After a dreadful end to 2018 equity markets recovered quite substantially in January. As headline inflation fell to 1.9% in the United States the Federal Reserve announced that the need to tighten monetary policy had diminished. On the other side of the Atlantic concerns over economic growth led ECB policy makers to keep the forward guidance at an unchanged level. Both decisions, as well as improving relations between the USA and China, were welcomed by the market and risky assets shot up substantially during the month. The MSCI All Countries recorded a profit of 7.5%, which is slightly less than the 8.3% gain Emerging Markets investors pocketed.
Style-wise we saw risky assets that were most affected by 2018’s panic selling rebound and safe havens lose some of their magic. While “Small Caps” shot up with +9.4% “Low Volatility” stocks had to make due with a 4.3% gain. And, while the year is still young, Growth (+8.1%) once more seems to be outperforming Value (+6.9%).
As teased in last month’s newsletter, our funds are back on track. Vector Navigator started off especially strong in 2019, gaining 8.77% during the month. Vector Flexible continues to outperform its Morningstar category (Flexible Allocation EUR – Global) and its benchmark index. The fund recorded a return of 4.79% in January compared to the 3.74% earned by its peers.
Werner, Thierry and Nils